Official Transcripts & Degree Conferral Documents
After you accept your offer of admission, please arrange for your official transcripts and degree documents to be sent to your graduate program as soon as possible. Once your graduate program verifies your documents, they will forward them to Graduate Admissions for final review.
Submit official documents from all post-secondary institutions you attended full-time for at least one academic year.
- Undergraduate program documents (associate’s & bachelor’s level): Final official transcript(s) showing completion of coursework required for the degree, degree earned, and the date of degree conferral. If from an international institution, additional documents probably are needed - official degree conferral/graduation document(s).
- Graduate program documents (master’s & doctoral level): If applicable, official graduate transcript(s). In-progress documents are all that are usually required. Only in the following cases must the graduate transcript be final and degree conferral/graduation documents be included: those needed for a TOEFL waiver or following a 3-year undergraduate degree from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal or Oceania countries.
- If the documents are not in English, then institution-produced or certified translations are required, in addition to the official original-language documents.
Stanford does not consider transcripts that come from students or that have been in the student’s possession to be official. Transcripts/degree documents submitted by the student as email attachments are also not considered official.
Your graduate program must receive the official documents through one of the delivery methods listed below. Note that transcripts uploaded within the online application are not considered official.
If at all possible, use certified electronic transcripts to submit your documents. See details below.
- Certified Electronic Transcripts: Secure electronically delivered transcripts that are passcode protected, digitally signed, and properly certified by the issuing institution are required and are sent only from the issuing institution or its authorized agent. Arrange for them to be sent to your graduate program. Transcripts sent as email attachments or by the student will be rejected by the graduate program.
- ApplyWeb CertiFile Service: International and domestic official transcripts/degree certifications delivery method is via the ApplyWeb CertiFile Service. To submit the order, log in to your application account then click Review Your Activity to go to your ApplyWeb Applicant Activity Page. There is a fee for this service.
- Traditional Paper Documents: If your institution will mail a physical document, it must be in an official sealed envelope that is signed and stamped across the envelope flap by the appropriate academic officer at the institution issuing the document. If the envelope has been opened or there is no stamp or signature across the envelope flap, it will not be accepted. Arrange for the institution to send it to your graduate program.