How to Apply
Select One Program
Out of the graduate degree programs listed on the Explore Graduate Programs page, you may apply to only one program per academic year.
The only exception is within the Biosciences PhD programs, where you may apply for two programs within a single application.
Central & Departmental Processes
We work in partnership with your graduate program of interest to ensure a smooth admission experience from the time you start your application until you enroll at Stanford.
- Oversees the online application system
- Determines university-wide admission requirements
- Reviews the official documents of incoming graduate students to verify that they meet university-wide admission requirements
- Oversees the review of applications
- May supplement university-wide requirements with program-specific admission requirements
- Communicates admission decisions and offers of financial support
Admission Process Overview
The first step is to prepare and submit your application materials through the online application system, by the deadline set by your intended graduate program.
After you submit your application, it is routed to your graduate program for review by its admission committee. Some programs conduct interviews as part of the evaluation process.
Your graduate program communicates the admission decision to you once it is finalized by the admission committee.
If you are admitted, you must respond to the offer of admission by the deadline set by your program. Some programs host "visit days" to help you make an informed decision.
If you accept the offer of admission, you must arrange for your official transcripts and degree documents to be sent to Graduate Admissions for verification.
After Graduate Admissions reviews your official documents, you are matriculated into your degree program. At this point, you are eligible to enroll in courses if you have no enrollment holds on your record. Note: If you are an international student, you have an enrollment hold until you arrive on campus.