Skip to content Skip to navigation


  • In order to register as students, the University requires that all those who are not U.S. citizens or registered U.S. Permanent Residents obtain and maintain an appropriate visa status for their stay in the United States.
  • The F-1 Student Visa is obtained with an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility which is issued by Stanford.
  • The J-1 Exchange Visitor visa is obtained with an DS-2019, which is issued by Stanford or a sponsoring U.S. agency.
  • Certificates of eligibility (I-20/DS-2019) are issued to International students who have accepted our offer of admission, met the English language proficiency requirement, and verified sufficient financial resources for at least one academic year.
  • Students who are on visas must maintain continuous, full-time enrollment and are subject to U.S. Immigration laws covering such items as employment on and off campus, change of degree, transfer of school, and extension of study.
  • See the Bechtel International Center website for additional information on visas.