Students admitted to the School of Medicine MD program should contact their admissions office for the forms they are to use.
Current Stanford Students
Current Stanford students should apply for an extension to their current F-1 or J-1 visa in AXESS. See the Bechtel International Center, Visa Extension page for detailed instructions.
Visa Document Process for New Graduate Students
New international graduate students submit I-20 and DS-2019 requests through an online process in Axess.
- Make sure your computer operating language and keyboard are set to English (United States); choose Firefox as the browser (making sure you have the latest version) and also set its language to English (US); clear the browser's cache.
- Scroll to the bottom and choose “Initiate I-20 or DS-2019 Request”.
You will need to upload the following, as PDFs:
- Legible copy of your passport page(s): photo page with machine-readable strip. Include page with current expiration date, if not on the same page.
- Financial documents from all funding sources: letter of funding from your department and/or your bank statement and/or bank statement of whomever will provide funding. Proof of funding should be shown in U.S. dollars or include a conversion showing equivalent of foreign currency. See this page of the Bechtel International Center's web site for more information.
- If you have an award from Stanford or from another source, you must provide verification of funding for any difference between your award and the estimated budget. Personal funds must be verified by a bank statement issued within 90 days of your I-20 request or by a letter of support from another scholarship source.
- Letter of Support: required only if financial support will be provided by an entity other than your department or yourself.
- If you will be transferring your SEVIS record to Stanford from another U.S. institution, also upload the SEVIS transfer in form (below), copy of current I-20 or DS-2019, and I-94.
If you experience issues uploading documents or entering funding dollar amounts proceed with the following:
- Make sure your computer operating language and keyboard are set to English (United States);
- Choose Firefox as the browser (making sure you have the latest version) and also set its language to English (US);
- Clear the browser's cache.
For other technical assistance with submitting your I-20 or DS-2019 application, please submit a help ticket to Graduate Admissions.
I-20/DS-2019 Processing Timeline:
I-20/DS-2019 requests are forwarded to the Bechtel International Center upon verification of University admission requirements by Graduate Admissions, Office of the University Registrar. Verification is triggered upon the receipt of official transcripts from the admitting graduate department/school. Log into AXESS to see the status of the I-20/DS-2019 request.
An incoming graduate student who wishes to participate in the summer EFS (English for Foreign Students) intensive English program or Stanford Summer Session must apply and be approved by EFS or Summer Session before the I-20 or DS-2019 can be issued.
SEVIS Transfer-In Form
If you are currently an international student in the U.S. at another academic institution on an F-1 or J-1 visa (including going from an English language institute to an academic program) and you want to transfer your SEVIS record from that institution to Stanford then you will need to upload a completed SEVIS Transfer-In form, copy of your current I-20 or DS-2019, and I-94 when submitting your I-20 or DS-2019 application.