Skip to content Skip to navigation

In light of the current situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, Stanford reaffirms its commitment to perform individualized, holistic review of each applicant to its graduate and professional programs. We recognize that students may have faced significant challenges during the period of disruption caused by the pandemic, and we will take such individual circumstances into account during application review. Importantly, we will respect decisions regarding the adoption of Credit/No Credit and other grading options during this unprecedented period of COVID-19 disruption, whether they are made by institutions or by individual students. Our goal remains to form graduate student cohorts that are excellent and encompass a diversity of perspectives, backgrounds and experiences that enrich the graduate educational experience.

Admitted students: see our special instructions for submitting transcripts. We are aware of some school closings in areas impacted by the coronavirus outbreak, and that it may delay some courses of study as well as the reporting of official school documents. If you are impacted by this, please contact our office to request an extension: We will do our best to work with you and your department.

I-20, DS-2019 and Transfer-In Requests

Students admitted to the School of Medicine MD program or any Stanford Law School or Graduate School of Business programs should contact their admissions offices for details on submitting I-20 and DS-2019 requests as their protocol is different from the one outlined on this website.

Current Stanford Students

Current Stanford students should apply for an extension to their current F-1 or J-1 visa in Bechtel Connect. See the Bechtel International Center Visa Extension page for detailed instructions. 

Visa Document Process for New Graduate Students

New international graduate students submit I-20 and DS-2019 requests through an online process. Please see this information on the Bechtel International Center's website.

EFS/Summer Session

An incoming graduate student who wishes to participate in the summer EFS (English for Foreign Students) intensive English program or Stanford Summer Session* must apply and be approved by EFS or Summer Session before the I-20 or DS-2019 can be issued.

*Summer Session does not include the week-long Stanford Graduate Summer Institute.

Questions? Send email to