Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

International Students

Main content start

Student Visas

In order to register as students, Stanford University requires that all those who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. registered permanent residents must obtain and maintain an appropriate visa status for their stay in the U.S.

The Bechtel International Center issues visa-related documents to incoming graduate students.

To receive a Certiļ¬cate of Eligibility for an F-1 or J-1 visa, you must first do the following:

  1. Accept the offer of admission online indicating your intention to enroll.
  2. Follow the instructions on the Bechtel International Center website to request your visa document. (Bechtel will begin to send invitations to the Bechtel Connect portal in early April.)
    • Current Stanford students should apply for an extension to their current F-1 or J-1 visa. See the Bechtel International Center Visa Extension page for detailed instructions.

Arrival and Orientation

Visit the Bechtel International Center website for information about Graduate International Student Orientation.