Official Transcripts & Degree Conferral Documents
Unless instructed otherwise by your admitting department, official transcripts/degree documents should only be sent to them if you have accepted their offer of admission.
Official Documents Required
If you have accepted an offer of admission, arrange to have your official transcripts/degree conferral documents sent from the issuing institution directly to your department.
- Official documents from all institutions attended full-time for at least one academic year
- Undergraduate program documents (associate's & bachelor's level): Final official transcript(s) showing completion of coursework required for the degree, degree earned, and the date of degree conferral. If from an international institution, additional documents probably are needed - official degree conferral/graduation document(s).
- Graduate program documents (master's & doctoral level): If applicable, official graduate transcript(s). In-progress documents are all that are usually required. Only in the following cases must the graduate transcript be final and degree conferral/graduation documents be included: those needed for a TOEFL waiver or following a 3-yr. undergraduate degree from India, Pakistan, or Nepal.
- If the documents are not in English, then institution-produced or certified translations are required, in addition to the official original-language documents.
Stanford does not consider transcripts that come from applicants or that have been in the applicant's possession to be official. Transcripts/degree documents submitted by the student as email attachments are also not considered official.
Your admitting department must receive the official documents through one of the delivery methods listed below. Note that transcripts uploaded within the online application are not considered official.
If at all possible, use certified electronic transcripts to submit your documents. See details below.
- Certified Electronic Transcripts: Secure electronically delivered transcripts that are passcode protected, digitally signed, and properly certified by the issuing institution are required and are sent only from the issuing institution or its authorized agent. Arrange for them to be sent to your department. Email addresses may be found here. Transcripts sent as email attachments or by the student will be rejected by the department.
- ApplyWeb CertiFile Service: International and domestic official transcripts/degree certifications delivery method is via the ApplyWeb CertiFile Service. To submit the order go to your ApplyWeb Applicant Activity Page by clicking on the Review Your Activity link at https://www.applyweb.com/stanford . There is a fee for this service.
- This service is not available to students in the Graduate School of Business, Law, School of Medicine MD and Physician Assistant Studies programs.
- Traditional Paper Documents: If your institution will mail a physical document, it must be in an official sealed envelope that is signed and stamped across the envelope flap by the appropriate academic officer at the institution issuing the document. If the envelope has been opened or there is no stamp or signature across the envelope flap, it will not be accepted. Arrange for the institution to send it to your department. Mailing addresses may be found here.