When in the electronic application, you will be required to upload scans of transcripts (see specific information, below), a statement of purpose, and possibly other documents if required by your department. When preparing your application materials to be uploaded into your electronic application, please note the following:
- File size must be 10MB or less
- Files cannot be password protected
- PDF files cannot have a digital signature
- Save each document separately
When scanning hard copy materials to upload into your electronic application please note the following:
- Resolution should be no more than 300dpi
- Scan in black and white only
- Removing images will help reduce file size
Please follow the instructions below to scan and upload a copy of your transcripts.
- Make a low-resolution photocopy of your transcripts (this suppresses the background, which will help reduce the file size)
- Scan the photocopy (experiment with different settings until you find one that results in the smallest file size)
- Save the scan as a .jpg file
- Close the .jpg file
- Open Microsoft Word or similar word processing program
- Click on the Insert tab, and do insert from file or picture
- Browse to your saved .jpg file
- Save your .jpg file as a .doc, .wpd, .rtf, .xls, .pdf, or .txt format. If uploading a document with foreign characters, save the file as a .pdf file. Macintosh users, please note that the filename must include the appropriate 3 letter extension.
- Open your document to make sure that your scanned document will print FULL SIZE on an 8 1/2 x 11 inch letter-size paper
- Do not attempt to upload a document that is password protected or contains macros. This will cause the process to fail.
- Check the size of your file before uploading. It cannot exceed 10MB.