Transcripts are required from every college/university you have attended for at least one year as a full-time student.
To submit your transcript(s), follow both of these steps:
- Upload a scanned copy of your official transcript (s) into the on-line application. See the transcript upload information in the File Upload Requirements section for specific instructions.
- Arrange for your official transcripts to be sent by the institution(s) to the department to which you are applying. An official transcript must be an original document bearing the institutional seal and official signature of the Registrar or copies verified by a school administrative officer and is one that is sent to Stanford in one of four ways:
- Electronic delivery: The use of secure electronically-delivered transcripts that are pass code protected is necessary. The document's certified digital signature embedded in the document PDF assures us that it has been prepared by the college/university and that the document is original and unaltered. Please check with the registrar's office of your college/university to see if they provide secure electronic certified transcript service. Note: Transcripts sent as email attachments are not accepted.
- CollegeNET Document Service: Applicants from international institutions are encouraged to use the CollegeNET Document Service within the graduate application to request and submit authenticated transcript(s) and other academic documents. This service provides certified documents to the department to which you are applying. Note: This service is not available to applicants to Graduate School of Business, Law, School of Medicine MD and Physician Assistant Studies programs.
- eTranscript Service: Stanford students and alumni who have active SUNet IDs can use the eTranscript Service within the graduate application. See instructions in the application. Not available to applicants to Graduate School of Business, Law, School of Medicine MD and Physician Assistant Studies programs.
- Postal service: Find the program's mailing address by clicking on the name of the program in the list of Graduate Programs. Note: If sending paper transcripts, two sets are required; an official transcript is one that has been signed and sealed by the college/university registrar and is received by Stanford in its original, sealed envelope
International Academic Credentials
Stanford’s assessment of a foreign degree is based on the characteristics of a national educational system, the type of institution attended, and the level of studies completed. The following guidelines indicate the minimum level of study required of applicants from recognized academic institutions outside the U.S.
|COUNTRY||MINIMUM LEVEL REQUIRED|
|African Countries||Four-year bachelor's, bachelor's with honours, maitrise|
|Britain||British patterned education – bachelor’s degree with honors.|
|France||Diplome d’Ingenieur from grandes écoles or completion of two years of classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles (CPGE) and two years of course work toward the Diplome d’Ingenieur degree. Maitrise from universities.|
|Germany||The diplom, magister artium (M.A.) or staatsexamen. Three-year Bologna compliant bachelor’s degree accepted|
|Other European countries||University degree requiring four years of study.|
|Middle East||University degree requiring four years of study.|
|Canada||Three-year bachelor’s degree from Quebec, four-year bachelor’s degree from other provinces.|
|Latin America||University degree requiring four years of study.|
|India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal||Bachelor’s degree in engineering or medicine, master’s degree in all other fields. (Note: A three-year bachelor’s degree in any subject is not considered sufficient for graduate study at Stanford. The two-year master’s degree following the three-year bachelor’s degree from India is required.|
|Philippines||Four-year bachelor’s degree.|
|Russian republics||University diploma requiring four years of study. Three-year Bologna compliant bachelor’s degree accepted (requires the Diploma Supplement issued in accordance to the Bologna Declaration).|
|Other Asian countries||University degree requiring four years of study.|
*Requires the Diploma Supplement issued in accordance to the Bologna Declaration.
Note to International Applicants
- Academic records should give detailed information on the content and quality of your performance, courses taken each year, and grades received. The grading scale of the institution and your rank in class should be noted whenever possible.
- Degrees must be verified by official copies of diplomas or conferral statements on academic records.
- Academic records must be original documents bearing the institutional seal and official signature of the Registrar or copies verified by a school administrative officer.
- If the institution does not issue records in English, original language records must be submitted with official English translations. We accept translations issued by the institution or a professional translating service. Translations must be literal and complete versions of the original records.
The University reserves the right to require additional academic documents. If we are unable to verify the nature or authenticity of your academic documents, we may ask you to obtain an evaluation from a foreign credential evaluation service.